Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

I learned a lesson.  It was a difficult one and I broke a cardinal rule to finally figure it out, but I came out all the wiser.  Ready?  Finish a book.  Ok, before you start to roll your eyes and close the window, wait a second and let me explain myself.

A few nights ago I went through the thirty plus pages on my kindle and moved all the stories I hadn't read yet to the front so I could start to read them.  One had a great little blurb and I couldn't wait to start it.  Beginning the book with enthusiasm, I was quickly disappointed with a long winded background and characters that were slowly killing me.  By the time I got to page 70 of the around 300 pages, I gave up, deleted it from my kindle, and then went to bed.

The next day I was nagged by a feeling that I couldn't ignore, I wanted to at least know what happened.  Here's where I broke the rules, I skipped ahead, read the last twenty-five pages, and was blown away.  What in the world!  The author made up for lost time in the beginning and the book was a breath-stealer.  Quickly, I backed up one hundred pages, then read ahead, then backed up to where I had left off the night before and to my chagrin, I was only three pages away from where the book took off.  It's honestly one of the best books I've read in a long time, and to add to it, I got it for free on Amazon.  I'll post the link later. While the beginning of the book was slow, and honestly, quite uninteresting, the author laid some fantastic groundwork for later developments in the book.  While I wouldn't recommend writing that way every time, it worked and she pulled it off with a fantastic read that left me wanting to start all over again when I had finished.  So I learned my lesson, finish the book, you never know until you've read it cover to cover.

The book was "The Mayne Attraction, In The Spotlight" By Ann Mauren

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3U8ZVNFLJZ0JS

Word to the wise, learn from other's mistakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment